Why study Textile Design course and where it can take you
Textile Design is a professional discipline, which basis the understanding of ensuing fashion trends, socio cultural factors as well as understanding of people’s preference & tastes, conceives concepts, formulate ideas and design both surface as well as structural design of knitted, woven &non woven, dyed, embroidered & printed fabricin various hues, patterns and textures.
These designs can be utilized in manufacturing of clothes, furnishings, carpeting, upholstery, wall covering & automotive fabrics. A textile designer, in pursuit of identifying the right mix of fabrics, may be involved in experimenting with right colour blends, patterns & hues so as to zero in on shades that complement each other. He also is responsible for creating design samples and prototypes.
- Clothing/Textile Technologist: He is hands on and works with variety of materials like fur, leather, metals and plastics etc. as well as fabrics including man-made and natural fibres. He is responsible for identifying, sourcing and quality testing the ideal fabric or material for a product. Additionally he is involved in the development of products along with enhancingproduction efficiency and quality
- Colour Technologist:He handles dyes and pigments and is involved with the science and technology of colour application on varied products. He coordinates with suppliers and end-users& is responsible for maintaining the accuracy of colour reproduction, its application as well as its durability.
- Textile Designer:He crafts creative designs, textures and patterns involving varied materials including yarns, prints, fabrics and trims, etc. and is responsible for production of knit, dyed, printed and woven or non woven fabrics or textile products.
- Interior Designer:He is involved with conceiving, designing as well as renovating internal spaces including structural alterations, new furnishings, lighting, attractive colour schemes, wall papers and fixtures & fittings etc.
- Illustrator: He is responsible for creating images, still drawings etc. to communicate a message, idea etc.
- Fashion Designer:He is responsible for conceiving an innovative design and creating new fashionable clothes utilizing fabrics in varied colours, textures and patterns
Some other roles can include:
- Fabric Analyzer
- Fabric Resource Manager
- Retail Buyer
- Colour Technologist
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Designer
- Furnishing Designer
- Interior Designer
Textile design courses:
While deciding on the Textile Design course, students must deliberate on the following:
- The course must strengthen core design skills and must ensure use of cutting-edge technology to promote sustainable design solutions
- The certification in Textile Design Coursemust be recognised as well as accredited at global as well as domestic level.
- The college must have state of the art studio that exposes the students to latest technology like CLO 3D, AI etc. so that they can become capable in designing&pattern cutting, craft intricate design details etc.
- Networking as well as interactions with experts, artisans, independent designers etc. will facilitate passing of market oriented understanding of the industry.
- Colleges must inculcate in students the research and analysis ability so as to ensure that the students stayup to date with fashion & markettrends, technology, use of new sustainable materials, latest techniques and manufacturing processes.
- Participation in live projects, competitions, student exchange program, internships etc. will ensure enhanced understanding of the fashion and textile industry.
- College must assist in development of attractive portfolio to ensure better opportunities.
- Supplementarycareer support curriculum to enhance competencies.