What is Oral Thrush?
People who notice lesions on the tongue should immediately consult a Dentist in islamabad. The specialist will conduct a thorough examination and relevant tests to diagnose the disease and provide treatment accordingly.
Oral thrush refers to the overproduction of fungus in the mouth, which causes lesions on the tongue, bleeding, and difficulty swallowing the food. The treatment helps in smooth recovery without further complications.
Symptoms of Oral Thrush
Also read webtoon xyz
- The individual can observe the presence of white lesions on the tongue and the inner side of the cheeks.
- The lesions are slightly raised, which causes redness and swelling.
- The patient suffers from a constant burning sensation, which causes difficulty in swallowing food.
- The lesions may bleed, causing pain and discomfort.
- The patient can notice cracks at the corners of the mouth, which cause unbearable pain and dryness.
- The immune system can weaken, and the infection spreads to the esophagus.
- The person experiences a loss of taste.
- Breastfeeding mothers experience itchiness and redness around the nipples.
Causes of Oral Thrush
- The uncontrolled production of candida Albicans leads to oral thrush.
- The weakened immune system can cause the overproduction of microorganisms in the mouth.
- Patients with HIV and leukemia have weak immune systems that can cause the overproduction of yeast in the mouth.
- Patients with diabetes are at a higher risk of suffering from oral thrush. High blood sugar promotes the growth of yeast in the mouth.
- Pregnant women with yeast infections are at a higher risk of suffering from oral thrush and passing it to their babies.
- Individuals who take antibiotics, corticosteroids, and prednisone are more likely to suffer from oral thrush as a side effect of the medications.
- Women with vaginal yeast infections are at a higher risk of suffering from oral thrush
The measures that can help reduce the chances of overproduction of yeast in the mouth are:
- Individuals who use a corticosteroid inhaler must rinse their mouth after the use to avoid yeast production.
- People with medical conditions should take proper treatment to avoid further health-related complications.
- Individuals must maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing twice daily to reduce the chances of yeast and bacterial growth in the mouth.
- Every person should drink at least one liter of water daily to avoid oral health problems.
- People must include yogurt in their diet to reduce the chances of yeast production in the mouth, which affects overall health.
Complications Associated with Oral Thrush
The complications that correlate with oral thrush are:
- The patients exhibiting signs of oral thrush should consult a specialist and take proper treatment to avoid systemic candida infections.
- People with a weak immune system are more likely to start noticing the symptoms that show that the yeast is spreading to the other parts of the body and causing multiple complications.
The tests that help in diagnosing an individual with oral thrush are:
- Blood Testing: The blood test will detect abnormality in the levels of RBC, platelets, and WBCs to eliminate other possibilities that may have led to lesions and bleeding.
- Thorough Microscopic Examination: The lesions are closely examined to detect the severity of the condition.
- Endoscopy: It is a procedure in which a tube with a camera is inserted through the mouth to determine the spread of the yeast.
Effective Treatment Options
The medications that help treat a patient with oral thrush are:
- The oral antifungals help fight fungal infections.
- The patient uses an antifungal mouthwash to prevent the regrowth of the yeast.
Individuals diagnosed with oral thrush must discuss their symptoms with the best dentist in Rawalpindi. The doctor will diagnose the cause of the disease and evaluate the severity of the condition. The specialist will provide guidance regarding lifestyle modifications and treatment options.