Dampwood vs Subterranean Termites
Termites are a homeowner’s worst nightmare. They are more common in Forster, and termite control is now an important aspect of house maintenance if you live there. You’ll wake up one day, flip on the lights and wonder why your house is raining sawdust. But before hiring Forster termite control service, it’s important to know which termite species you’re dealing with. That way, you can determine what kind of treatment will work best to eradicate the infestation. When it comes to Forster, the most common type of termite found are Subterranean termites.
The type of termite infestation your home has will likely dictate the control method you use.
If you suspect that your house has an infestation of termites, contact an expert for help determining what kind of treatment is best for your situation.
These are the two main types of termites that could be chowing down on your house-
- Dampwood termites
- Subterranean termites
While you might think these two types of termites are the same, there are a few differences.
Damp wood termites
Dampwood termites often live above ground. They prefer wood with a moisture content of 25 per cent or more, but it can also be found in areas with high humidity. This doesn’t mean you won’t see them around dry areas on hot days.
- These little critters thrive in damp wood. They’re usually found in areas where moisture easily builds up, such as crawlspaces and leaky pipes.
- Dampwood termites usually live above ground and prefer to feed on hardwoods that are high in moisture content. They can be found near sources of water, such as streams or lakes, or even just areas with good drainage.
- Because damp wood termite colonies require standing water for survival as well as the shelter provided by rotting logs, it’s likely you’ve seen them before if you’ve ever walked through a forest or rainforest area with decaying logs lying around -especially during rainy seasons!
- Dampwood termites have a similar lifestyle to subterranean termites but live within trees or logs rather than underground. The presence of damp wood is usually indicated by the presence of small holes (about 1/16 inch) around infested areas on wooden structures.
One of the most common types of termites that are found in Forster-
- Subterranean termites don’t need much moisture; instead, these little guys dig their way underground so that their nests aren’t affected by fluctuating weather conditions above ground level -or predators like ants!
- Dampwood termites also cause damage similar to that caused by subterranean termite colonies; although it is less severe because these insects do not tunnel as deeply into the wood as their subterranean counterparts.
- They can reach their food supply through mud tubes they build between their underground nests and the wood they consume (your house).
Termites are social insects that live in colonies. Although some species of termite exist as individuals or pairs, most species live in colonies containing thousands of individuals with castes (workers, soldiers, nymphs) performing specialised tasks for the colony.
Identifying which species is responsible for a termite infestation is the first step in controlling it. In Forster, termite control is necessary when you engage a professional to deal with termites. The first thing he’ll do is inspect your home. Then he’ll go over the various alternatives available to you for eradicating termites from the structure. Contact a local pest control in Forster if you have any questions regarding how these two species are treated or if you have a termite infestation in your house.